Thread: The great and lengthy RAM debate

Sergeant

The great and lengthy RAM debate

And I'm not talking about the pickup truck

I have my DDR3 Ram in this configuration:

100kb limit what the fuck

http://imgur.com/eXGwHJj

According to my mobo, this is in dual channel. If you look closely, this is 1 8GB stick, and 1 4GB stick

Now, am I fully utilizing the "Dual Channel"? The blue ones having 2 sticks of ram, acting together to have 128bit memory lane.

Or would having 4 sticks be "Dual Channel", since each PAIR of sticks count as 1 channel?

Private First Class
    Both blue and both black are dualized. Maximum performance can be reached by having same size ram blocks in both pairs. Since you have 12gb of RAM already, why bother though unless you wanna do some computer vision or computer graphics stuff?

Sergeant
    http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/07...-types-of-ram/

"You are right about mixing different RAM modules ó if thereís one thing you absolutely canít mix, itís DDR with DDR2, or DDR2 with DDR3 and so on (they wonít even fit in the same slots). RAM is pretty complicated, but there are a few things you can mix and a few things you shouldnít. In any case, I donít recommend it. If youíre buying new RAM, youíre probably going to make your life a lot easier by buying the exact same model as you currently have in your machine."

I don't think this is utilizing Dual Channel because the sticks are of different capacity.

You can run Dual Channel with two sticks, (and yours appear to be in the right place,) but they have to be the same voltage, timing, and capacity.

Sergeant
    They aren't any of those things, other than in the right slot ^_^

Fuckin whatever. I'm not doing 16GB. 12 is fine.

I can get 16gb kit of this ddr3 RAM for 80 euro but it says "it works best with intel 3rd or 4th generation cpu".
    Makes sense to buy for amd fx8320? Or should i buy another 4gb same ram i have now for 50 euro?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengea.../dp/B00D2LGRO2

Just 30 euro difference but that means 12gb more or less.

Sergeant
    probably not a problem, what motherboard do you have?

Sergeant
    Shit, the price of that for me is 145 euros.

very cheap 35 euro 760ga-p43(fx) from msi i believe. Its very good tho for me so far. Can take 32gb RAM max

Hehe steeps may be i should buy houndreds and sell them in US for 120

Just had a look what complete pc systems cost now and its cheap as fuck wth how is it possible that some gpus cost more than entire i7 32gb ram desktop pcs
    Last edited by HeadlessChicken86; 14th October 2014 at 16:51:08.