Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New high-end computer

New high-end computer

Yes, the title says it all. I am bying a new computer, and it's gonna be real good.

The prize-range is about 2000$-2500$+.

I am aiming for something that hopefully can perform decent at 4K. I was also thinking about building it on my own.
    I already got a good amount of RAM and an empty Crucial 250gb SSD that I can use. Might still get one more SSD though.

So, any input on parts and places do buy would be highly appreciated. I can ship to my self in the US if a shop only offers that.

Sergeant
    Wait for Skylake and 390X

I wont be buying anything until I am done serving, so around late July or August

Sergeant
    One piece of advice, do not get a 4K monitor at less than 30". Everything will be painfully small to read. The sweet spot I have discovered is 1440p at 27". It's just fantastic.

Be sure that you don't cheap out on the monitor budget. What good are all the high end components if your monitor is shitty? I personally recently bought the BenQ XL2730Z and it's amazing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014451

If you know a lot about panel technologies (I spent the last couple months learning everything), then you'll know there's a difference between IPS, TN, and PLS (among others). This is a TN panel, BUT it has colors similar to IPS panels because of the 8-bit color. This monitor and the ASUS ROG Swift are the only two (that I know of) that are true 8-bit TN panels. That means that you'll have the extreme refresh rates with very good color quality. If you go IPS, you will have slower refresh rates.

In regards to a new computer, you may want to go to DDR4 memory. It's a significant upgrade from what I can tell.

I can go into more monitor detail if you would like also. Can explain some more differences.

Thanks! Looks like I might go for that monitor, it fits right into my monitor budget.

If you could go into more detail about the computer, that would be great. The more intel the better.

Sergeant

New high-end computer

Personally I would choose between the BenQ I have and the ASUS ROG Swift. They're almost exactly the same spec wise except for G-Sync and FreeSync. That is if you're willing to pay the extra $180 G-Sync tax.

I do not want an IPS panel for gaming. Downsides are IPS glow (you should look that up) and slower response times.

To the computer... I'll list a generic list of my preferences, except for one, graphics.

The new GTX 980ti looks freaking awesome. At $650 it has 9% less performance (according to reviews) than the Titan X at $1000. I may just upgrade to it depending on how the new AMD line performs.

Top of the line Core i5 is my recommendation. I personally have an i5-2500k.
    I love ASUS motherboards, I suggest middle of the road and get the features you need. Don't get something dirt cheap, and don't buy features you don't need. I spent about $150 on mine.
    Power supply... this can be difficult. I bought mine because it was a good deal. It was a Cougar CMX 700 for about $70. It's been great, never had a single problem. I know a lot of people say to only get Corsair, but you may find a hidden gem shopping around.
    If you do need an SSD, recommend the Samsung 850 EVO.

Uhh... anything else? It's not all perfectly accurate. These are my opinions and don't take them as fact :P

Edit: Make sure to factor in a PURE SINEWAVE backup battery if you buy a higher end PSU that has a "feature" called "Active PFC." Some backup batteries will not function properly with active PFC PSUs.
    Last edited by Steeps; 1st June 2015 at 04:43:55.

High Command
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
    Top of the line Core i5 is my recommendation. I personally have an i5-2500k.
    You forgot to mention that this is really only a good choice if you're going to overclock. The stock i5 was good a while back but it's already outdated. Overclocked 2500ks are still good for a while but if you're building a new $2000 machine I wouldn't spend money on a series which already has 2 successors, especially since power usage and single thread performance have increased significantly between the 2500k and the 4670k/4690k.

If you're not willing to overclock or if you want crazy high clocks for enthusiast performance and you have money to spend you mcan spend it on i7. I'd say just take a few options for CPU in your mind and start shopping for the rest (if you need peripherals for example) and then see what your budget allows. If your budget allows something fancy like a 4770k, great, if not a 4670k or 4690k is more than enough anyway.
    Still regardless of whether you want to overclock or not I would suggest going with something newer. Get the performance you need out of at least a 3570k, preferably a 4670k/4690k or if you have the money a 4770k. These all still allow you to OC when you feel like it/need it.

I love ASUS motherboards, I suggest middle of the road and get the features you need. Don't get something dirt cheap, and don't buy features you don't need. I spent about $150 on mine.
    Yea, don't buy too many fancy things with your mobo. Like sound enhancers and shit like that. Just make sure you have the necessary i/o and enough PCI slots for your needs. Take expansion into consideration; Are you looking at SLI/Crossfire in the future? Do you want to use a separate sound card? Perhaps even a PCI SSD? Probably not, but you might as well build a PC that will last.

Power supply... this can be difficult. I bought mine because it was a good deal. It was a Cougar CMX 700 for about $70. It's been great, never had a single problem. I know a lot of people say to only get Corsair, but you may find a hidden gem shopping around.
    Not necessarily Corsair. Corsair has amazing PSUs for sure and you can't really go wrong with them. But what is important isn't necessarily Corsair it's getting any of the bigger PSU brands. Corsair, Silverstone, Be quiet!, CoolerMaster, Seasonic, Cougar, etc. It doesn't matter which brand and there's a lot more that have the same quality products just make sure it's a reputable brand. Buying off brand PSUs can get ugly quick if you happen to find yourself with something terrible. Your PSU has the ability to fuck your entire system, that would be a lot of money. Also the 80 plus ratings are something to watch. Look up what it means, it basically has to do with the efficiency of converting a/c power to your system.

If you do need an SSD, recommend the Samsung 850 EVO.
    This. Samsung seems to be consistently among the top. I'd recommend Samsung and Intel as top tier followed by Kingston and Crucial because Crucial is cheap.

Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBooZe View Post
    You forgot to mention that this is really only a good choice if you're going to overclock. The stock i5 was good a while back but it's already outdated. Overclocked 2500ks are still good for a while but if you're building a new $2000 machine I wouldn't spend money on a series which already has 2 successors, especially since power usage and single thread performance have increased significantly between the 2500k and the 4670k/4690k.
    Of course, go with the 4000 series (or you can wait for Skylake to drop the price of them). I wasn't recommending he get a 2500k, was just stating mine is running great in its fourth year.

High Command
    Yeah, my current build:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 (non K series)
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 16GB (2 DIMM's)
    GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX970
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    SSD: Crucial BX100, 120GB
    PSU: Corsair RM550 550W Modular 80+ Gold

And the glorious case Corsair Obsidian 650D

Spent around 900 euros on this rig and its kicks ass.

Like I dont do OC, so if I had extra 100 euros, I would go for i7, but oh well.
    i5 does the job. And I choosed 550W PSU because system consumes maximum 270-290W at full load. So I have reserve.

If you have Money, go for i7, wont regret.

Thanks a lot guys! Looks like I have some work cut out for me on this one...

I am not too big on overclocking, so I am looking for a good processor that performs great without being overclocked. The i7-4790k is what I had in mind, but if the cheaper options performs reasonably considering the prize, they might be worth a look.

I am ofc considering SLI/Crossfire maybe 6-7 months down the line. Sound cards is probably not going to happen.

Where do you guys stand on water cooling vs air cooling? Is there a big sound difference? And can a normal person like me build my own water cooling system?

E: They also just announced that W10 is going to be released just around the time I am going to get set up. Hmm...