Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New high-end computer

High Command
    Quote Originally Posted by JackONeill View Post
    I am not too big on overclocking, so I am looking for a good processor that performs great without being overclocked. The i7-4790k is what I had in mind, but if the cheaper options performs reasonably considering the prize, they might be worth a look.
    If you're not going to overclock then the stock i7 is going to be quite a step up from a stock i5. So i'd suggest you go with the 4790k and in due time when it becomes a bit dated and it starts bottlenecking you can try to overclock anyway. If it breaks then it wasn't brand new anyway and probably time to buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by JackONeill View Post
    Where do you guys stand on water cooling vs air cooling? Is there a big sound difference? And can a normal person like me build my own water cooling system?
    Only really interesting if you're going to OC. Heck, even most aftermarket air coolers are only necessary if you're going to OC. The stock intel cooler is usually capable of running a gaming system without OC. If you feel that you want to keep temperatures low and the sound volume low then start looking at aftermarket coolers. Quite popular right now are the Hydro series all in one coolers (I personally have the H100i). The most common one is the Corsair Hydro series but Cooler Master and NZXT make similar products with similar performance.

Sergeant
    Check out gaming performance comparisons between the top i5 and top i7 of Devil's Canyon:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/d...and-i5-4690k/5

If you're going to mostly be gaming, do you really need to spend an extra $100 for that tiny difference in gaming performance? Spend that extra money on a better GPU.

Core i7 4790k - $340
    Core i5 4690k - $240

CPU Cooling
    DO NOT use the stock cooler, it will run much hotter than any other CPU cooler. Even something basic, such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will run much cooler than stock. The 3,300 reviews at 5 stars do not lie.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $35

CASES
    I forgot the mention. The NZXT H440 is the most fantastic case I have ever worked with. The best cable management I have ever seen. The best part is that it is very quiet! I'll attach some pictures of mine in a minute.

I added cooling to the top slots with Corsair SP120 fans. They are "Static Pressure" fans, they're much different than standard fans in how they function. They push air to the sides (which is needed for how this case works) rather than straight through.

Last edited by Steeps; 1st June 2015 at 14:22:04.

Sergeant
    Why can't my cable management be that good...

Sergeant
    Here is a good video review of the case, it's just as awesome as he says it is.

One point to note, the black/red is matte while the white/black is glossy on the exterior.

I was surprised the cooling was just as sufficient as my Antec 902 V3. I have not noticed any difference in temperatures on my system. Granted I did add those exhaust fans to the top.

Last edited by Steeps; 1st June 2015 at 15:10:35.

High Command
    Because someone obviously spent a day on it.

Like mine is a mess as well

High Command
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
    CPU Cooling
    DO NOT use the stock cooler, it will run much hotter than any other CPU cooler. Even something basic, such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will run much cooler than stock. The 3,300 reviews at 5 stars do not lie.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $35
    Which doesn't actually matter. Only when using the 4790k is the stock cooler a problem with gaming/long term high performance output.
    The stock cooler for intel is good enough for practically anything you want to do with it bar overclocking. Yes it will run hotter, no it will not run hot enough for you to wreck anything, even when gaming. By the same logic of choosing an i5 over an i7 and saving money to spend on something else you can also opt for the stock cooler and spend those $35 on your GPU. Sure $35 is a more manageable amount compared to $100 but still. Yes the 212 EVO is probably the best price-performance cooler you can get but unless you are going to OC you don't necessarily NEED it. Especially if you have good airflow in the case to begin with.

Regardless I would still choose a decent aftermarket cooler. I am just saying, the intel cooler is more than capable of handling the best performance a stock CPU can put out. It's literally designed to work with the boundaries set by Intel on their base clocks.

High Command
    What Max said. If your CPU is overheating in normal use on stock cooling then you're doing something else very wrong.

Private First Class
    I wanaaaaa be like Kaaaanyeee

WHOOP WHOOP!

Order has been placed, and I shall commence building when I get back to Norway on Tuesday.

Rig is as follows:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black
    Power: Cooler Master G750M, 750W PSU
    CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K, Socket-LGA2011-3
    CPU Cooler: Intel Air Cooling TS13A
    GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (arkham night is included, bleh!)
    Motherboard: MSI X99S GAMING 7, Socket-2011-3
    SSDs: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" SSD X2
    HDD: Seagate Barracudaź 1TB
    RAM: Crucial DDR4 Ballistix 2400MHz 16G
    Optical Drive: ASUS BC-12D2HT, BD-Reader/DVD-Writer

Any after purchase thoughts? Really great input from you guys, as well as some US government officials(AKA "top men")

High Command
    Wow, that is nice build. Don't forget add second 980