Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer build

Sergeant

New Computer build

Going to build a new computer late this summer. I will start buying some components over time as they come on sale/get released.

Video Card: GTX 1080
    Memory:CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) already owned
    SSD: Greater than 256 GB
    HDD: Greater than 2 TB
    Case: Full Any good brands in particular?
    CPU: i7 Any particular type that's good?
    Motherboard: ?
    Cooling: Liquid Cooled This is my first liquid cooled setup, what are good options?
    Power Supply: What's the ideal power in watts?
    Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray already owned
    Keyboard Who makes good keyboard?
    Mouse Who makes good mouse?
    Already have monitors and headset. Anything I missed?

It's been 4 years since I built my last computer so my knowledge is out of date. Let's just say I have a budget of $2500. Parts in bold is what I could use some advice on, if you already have positive feedback on a particular product you own.

SSD go with Samsung 850 PRO or EVO depending on your moneys. For HDD, Western Digital makes decent stuff.

Cases: Fractal Design makes good price to quality-ratio cases, good for building and shit too.

Processor: Intel with the new Skylake thing i5 or i7, both are good.

750 watts should be enough.

Keyboard: Get one that suits you. Steelseries, Logitech, Razer, etc. I use a mechanical one nowadays, really nice.

Mouse: Depends on your grip and shit. Optical mouse, with a cord. I use a Steelseries Rival now.

High Command
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsoft View Post
    Going to build a new computer late this summer. I will start buying some components over time as they come on sale/get released.

Video Card: GTX 1080
    Memory:CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) already owned
    SSD: Greater than 256 GB
    HDD: Greater than 2 TB
    Case: Full Any good brands in particular?
    CPU: i7 Any particular type that's good?
    Motherboard: ?
    Cooling: Liquid Cooled This is my first liquid cooled setup, what are good options?
    Power Supply: What's the ideal power in watts?
    Optical Drive: LG Blu Ray already owned
    Keyboard Who makes good keyboard?
    Mouse Who makes good mouse?
    Already have monitors and headset. Anything I missed?

CPU: i5 6600k or i7 6600k. Depends on whether you want to just play games (i5) or want to start up some of your moviemaking and streaming magic (i7). The extra threads will help in that department though they won't necessarily improve actual gaming performance.

Motherboard: Depends, the newer boards focus on DDR4 RAM but if you're sticking with DDR3 just get something neat that fits skylake. With the new boards a DDR3 board is probably relatively cheap. Though switching to DDR4 might not be a bad idea, future proofs your system a little. Although DDR4 performance isn't anything too special right now it might be in the future if the manufacturers can narrow down the timings.

Cooling: If you want to go liquid anything Corsair offers is good. I'm not really familiar with the likes of Coolermaster, NZXT Kraken series or Arctic but I haven't really heard anything bad. Though I'm usually a sucker for Corsair gear.

PSU: 750 should do, provided you're not going to dump tons of drives, lighting and insane coolers in there.

The difference with the skylake i5 and i7 was like 3 fps or some shit when playing.

Here is my current setup. Case is a Fractal Design R5 white. Got a Coolermaster fan for my CPU. And RAM is DDR4.

High Command
    Can suggest Corsair Obsidian series. Awesome cases.

And what Max and L4gi said.

About PSU: Buy ONLY 80+ GOLD rated ones. Maximum reliability. Suggesting Corsair RM or AX series. Seasonic is Holy Grail of PSU's.

High Command
    The new Corsair Obsidian and Graphite series are very slick. Especially the full size window on the new Graphite.

High Command
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBooZe View Post
    The new Corsair Obsidian and Graphite series are very slick. Especially the full size window on the new Graphite.
    I have Obsidian 650D - fucking awesome, clear lines, super easy to do cable management, no over exaggerated "gaming" design BS.

Private First Class
    Corsair Obsidian 350D and a micro ATX board. Perfect size and doesn't look like a damn rave party. Nice and clean. Also keeps an extremely good job of managing dust. I clean the inside out twice a year and there is hardly any dust on the main components. The asus micro ATX board I have has the ability to SLI cards but I will probably never do that because I do not believe that the juice is worth the squeeze.

Sergeant
    The Logitech G502 is a great mouse. Pretty much any keyboard from Corsair is going to be rock solid.

What monitor do you have? Please don't say you're going to buy a GTX 1080 and only have 1080p/60hz. Complete waste of money if so. Go 1440p/144hz to actually make use of the GTX 1080.