Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Routerhelp?

Sergeant

Routerhelp?

Problem:
    My wifi-router used to give me pretty good download and upload (18.0/1.0).
    I use cable from the router to PC and just use wifi to phones/pads.

Now the router gives me 18 down and close to 0 up. It also keeps disconnecting me ingame.
    Without router it still gives me 18 down/ 1 up and no disconnects.

Lazy as i am i just tried buying a new router but problem is still there.

Any ideas how to solve this?

High Command
    Who else is using computers at your house? Maybe someone has torrent on 24/7 and up speed is not limited.

Sergeant
    No, its just the same even if its just me connected (me on cable, no one on wifi).

High Command
    I summon Lito to this thread.

Sergeant
    Goddamn! New router is even worse than the old.
    It looses connection like every 5 min so that i have to restart that bitch again.
    Im going back to the old..

Sergeant
    It's not the router.
    What frequency (example 2.4Ghz, or 5Ghz , more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 ) and what channels is your router running on? I need you to look that up, I'm not sure which channels are used in North Europe.

Your family has added something in your house, be it a flourescent light fixture, a new electrical/electronic appliance, ... or your neighbor has, ... and it's interfering in the channels you've selected for your WiFi signal.

Generally the "easy solution" is to use one device that was known to work well with WiFi before your problems, and use that to test. You then manually change the range of channels on the router and the device, testing the various channel groupings available.

You have to download some program(s) to test the LAN Up/Down transfer rate in a controlled manner.

The easiest software if you have a Android phone/tablet/whatever, is Cisco Wifi Stumbler:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...i.wifistumbler

I think the The easiest software if you use Wifi on a Windows PC, is Vistumbler: ( but .. I haven't used one in so long Idk if it's actually the best software for your needs)
    http://www.vistumbler.net/

Download, install, it will search all the options and find your optimal Wifi channels. Optimal as in least amount of interference and/or most consistent up/down rate. Minimal Signal to noise ratio is what you're looking for.

Sergeant
    Edit:
    get your wired PC and a wireless device at same seat,
    turn on WiFi testing software on wireless device,
    on wired PC, start changing the channels that the router is using to Transmit/Receive.
    test with wireless device testing software.
    Go through the available options, find optimal channels.

then set all wireless devices to manually use those channels, IF the devices don't autonegotiate the wifi channels with a router.

Note most routers firmware come preinstalled with Worldwide list of channels, only a subset is used in Europe:

List of channels and if they are used for WiFi or not are listed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

High Command
    Oh yeah, channels... Its really handy when you live in apartment building. While everyone is interfering with each other you just switch channel and enjoy best connection

Good that we have Lito.

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Good that we have Lito.
    Indeed, I hope this also helps with my connection problems

Sergeant
    Thanks for reply Lito.
    Im running a Netgear router 2.4GHz (802.11G) on channel 6
    Only new gear at home is an I-pad.

Ive tried changing channels (1-5 so far) but that only effects the wifispeeds (for the worse).
    Speeds on wired PC stays the same (18down, 0.05up)